Colorado FHA Lending Limits by County in 2023
If you’re looking to purchase a home in Colorado, you’ll need to be aware of the FHA loan limits in Colorado. These limits are put in place by the Federal Housing Administration and they help to ensure that people are not borrowing more money than they can afford to repay. The limits vary from state to state, and they also vary depending on the type of home you’re looking to purchase. In Colorado, the FHA loan limit for a single-family home is $472,030 in most counties in Colorado.
This means that if you’re looking to purchase a home for less than this amount, you’ll need to put down at least 3.5% of the purchase price as a down payment. If you’re looking to purchase a home for more than this amount, you may still be able to get an FHA loan, but you’ll need to put down at least 10% of the purchase price as a down payment. Colorado’s FHA loan limits are higher than the national average, so if you’re looking to purchase a home in the state, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a loan that meets your needs.
FHA Loan Limits in Colorado in All Counties
|County||Single-Family||2 Family||3 Family||4 Family||Median House Price|
How FHA Loan Limits in Colorado Are Calculated
- The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) is a government agency that provides mortgage insurance on loans made by FHA-approved lenders. Mortgage insurance protects lenders against losses from borrower defaults. The FHA requires lenders to collect a mortgage insurance premium (MIP) from borrowers.
- FHA loan limits are the maximum allowed loan amount for Federal Housing Administration loans. FHA Loans are federally insured mortgages designed for middle- and working-class Americans. Because the loans are insured, lenders provide excellent rates for first-time homeowners and those with poor or no credit history.
- FHA loan limits in Colorado are the maximum amount of money that you can borrow from the federal government to finance your home. The FHA loan limits in Colorado are broken down by county and state. You can view the 2023 FHA loan limits in Colorado by county above.
The equation to calculate the maximum loan amount for an FHA loan is:
House Purchase Price × 97,5% LTV Ratio = Maximum Loan Amount
For example, the FHA loan limits in Colorado in Colorado Springs are $460,000. The maximum loan amount for FHA loan limits in Colorado for El Paso County would be
$460,000 * 3,5% = ($16,100.+ 460,000) which gives you the maximum home price you can shop for at $476,560
for duplex in El Paso County is $588,850, the FHA maximum loan amount for a triplex in El Paso is $711,800. FHA loan limits in Colorado in El Paso County for Multifamily 4-unit is $884,600
To qualify for an FHA loan, you must have a credit score of at least 500. If your credit score is between 500 and 579, you can qualify for a loan with a down payment of 10%. If your credit score is 580 or higher, you can qualify for a loan with a down payment of 3.5%.
FHA loans are a great option for first-time homebuyers and those with low credit scores. The FHA loan limits provide flexibility and access to financing for many Americans who would not otherwise be able to get a mortgage.
If you’re looking to buy a home, check to see if you qualify for an FHA loan. You can use the FHA loan limits calculator to find out the maximum loan amount in your county.
FHA Loan Limits in Colorado For High-Cost Areas
There are six FHA high-cost areas in Colorado. The most expensive counties are Garfield County, Pitkin County, and San Miguel County where FHA loan limits in Colorado are set to $970,800 for a single home, $1,243,050 for a duplex, and $1,502,475 for a triplex and for a fourplex, the FHA max loan amount is at $1,867,275.
In Adams, Arapahoe, Broomfield, Clear, Creek, Denver, Douglas, Elbert, Gilpin, and Jefferson Park Counties the FHA loan limits in Colorado are set at:
- 1-unit: $787,750
- 2 units: $1,008,450
- 3-units: $1,219,000
- 4-units: $1,514,950
For Boulder County, Eagle County, Weld County and Routt County please check the above table with all FHA loan limits in Colorado by county for the 2023 year.
Benefits of FHA loan in Colorado
There are a few benefits of getting an FHA loan in Colorado. First, because the FHA is insuring the loan, lenders are more likely to give you a loan even if you have less-than-perfect credit. Second, FHA loans have lower interest rates than some other types of loans, so you will save money over the life of the loan. Finally, FHA loans have smaller down payments than many other loans, so they are a good option for people who may not have a lot of cash on hand.
If you are thinking about getting an FHA loan in Colorado, make sure to talk to a mortgage broker or mortgage lender to see if this is the right type of loan for you. There are a few different benefits to FHA loans, so it is worth exploring all of your options.
Colorado Down Payment Assistance Program
The Colorado Housing Assistance Corporation’s (CHAC’s) Down Payment Assistance Program is designed for first-time purchasers. To be eligible, you must have a low or moderate income when compared to other people in the area where you purchase.
- To be eligible for an FHA loan, you must save at least $1,000 of your own money (not a gift) toward your down payment. The $1,000 is reduced to $750 if you participate in the state’s disability program.
- A second mortgage loan is provided as down payment assistance, which must be paid off in monthly installments. Borrowers must also complete a homebuyer education course.